Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lemony Risotto with Asparagus and Shrimp



For the first time in my life I have been paying attention to items that are in season, and cooking with them.  Since asparagus seems to be the go-to veggie in spring, I have been looking for lots of recipes (it helps that every store has it on sale for CHEAP!)

On a whim, I bought a box of Arborio rice last week in hopes that I would figure out what to do with it later.  Never having made Risotto before I had no idea what to expect, but I know I have heard the word yelled A LOT by Chef Ramsey :)  That had me a little worried.

It was actually very easy to cook, just a bit time consuming since you have to constantly stir, but not that big a deal at all.  And the hubby and daughter LOVED it.  So its something that will frequent the household more often.
What are your favorite Risotto Recipes?  I need to stock TO MAKE LIST!


Lemony Risotto with Asparagus and Shrimp

Source: Gourmet | May 2009 (via epicurious.com)


Makes 4 (main course) or 6 to 8 (side dish) servings

Ingredients
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
3/4 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
1/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
 
Directions

Bring broth and water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Add asparagus and simmer, uncovered, until just tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer asparagus with a slotted spoon to an ice bath to stop cooking, then drain. Keep broth at a  simmer, covered.

Cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.

Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add wine and simmer, stirring constantly, until absorbed.

Stir in 1/2 cup broth mixture and briskly simmer, stirring frequently, until absorbed. Continue adding broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and letting each addition be absorbed before adding the next, until rice is creamy and tender but still al dente (it should be the consistency of a thick soup), about 18 minutes. (There will be leftover broth mixture.)

Stir in shrimp and cook until just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes.

Stir in asparagus, zest, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, parmesan, parsley, and pepper to taste. (Thin risotto with some of remaining broth if necessary.)



-----------
linked to:
It's a Keeper

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shelby, Thank you for following my blog! That is very nice of you and I'm following you back. Your lemon risotto with asparagus looks lovely and delicious! I have not tried cooking risotto either, it has been on my list of to-try for ages! Have a lovely weekend and hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you through Elisabeth and love your title and your blog...I wish you would enable us to get your posts by signing up for email updates...then we wouldn't miss anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both very much! @kitchen flavours - it was MUCH easier than I thought it would be :)

    @Patty - I fixed it, there are email updates now :) Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just drop by from kitchen flavours and discovered your wonderful recipe :) I always like risotto but never tasted something quite like yours. Thanks for sharing. I am following you and would like to invite you to follow my blog too!

    http://personalfoodjournal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete